Marissa’s first birth: Unmedicated at the Hospital

November 8, 2011

Monday night I couldn’t sleep, for the first time I was having practice surges. I thought nothing of it. I thought about calling in sick to work the next morning because I got no sleep and the surges were still coming every once and a while. But I decided to go anyways. At work I had to have people hold on the phone while I breathed through the surges. It was good practice to zone everything out and focus on my breathing. But it soon got to be too much and I had Drew pick me up from work.

On our way home we stopped at target and Costco to get some things for the baby. (good thing we did) When we got home I layed on the couch and tried to nap. Drew went to soccer practice and said call me if you need me to come home. I was thinking, Drew, don’t be dramatic these are just braxton-hicks! But they never stopped.

About a week previously we decided to find a doula in training to attend our babes birth and at 7 p.m. Jen was coming over so we could meet for the FIRST TIME! During our meeting I was taking breaks while we were talking to breath through my surges. I told her I thought they were just practice surges and we just kept talking. Luckily Jen and I hit it off right away! She understood everything I wanted and had even hypnobirthed all of her children. She left and some of our best friends came over to bring us a movie because I had a feeling I wouldn’t be sleeping again that night! While they were there the surges started getting more frequent. I had to take breaks from talking to close my eyes and kneel over the birthing ball with my arms out and just rock back and forth. They thought it was funny. But before they left said maybe you should go to the hospital. This is when I thought, hmm… maybe these are real surges. (I still had 11 days until my guess date)

At around 12 a.m. Drew and I both decided to pack some bags to go to the hospital. We were not prepared at all so it was fun to try to think of all the things we would need if our babe really did come tonight. We got in the car and almost forgot the car seat! On the way to hospital I just wanted Drew to talk to me. It helped me a lot to relax.

We got to the hospital and of course they hooked me up to all this junk and checked to see if I was dilated. I was dilated to a 4 and they said I could stay. That was a relief. Drew called Jen and she was there right away. She said she had a feeling I would have our babe tonight.

I wanted to try out the tub. So first thing I did was get in the tub. They had this annoying monitor around my belly that kept coming off because I was moving too much and they finally kind of just stopped worrying about it. I relaxed in the tub for a good 30 minutes and got out. I just wanted to move around. Of course they wanted to check my progress. I didn’t let them a first but then they asked again a while later and I said sure. I was at an 8. I really could not tell a difference in my surges from a 4 to an 8. The nurses kept commenting on how surprised they were because I was so calm. (thanks hypnobirthing ☺)

I wasn’t progressing and my water was still intact. The midwife had said that my sack was very strong and that she wanted to break my water. This freaked me out. I was told by some friends that if they break your water the pain is unbearable. I tried not to think about those comments I had heard but couldn’t help it. So I didn’t let her break my water…But 2 hours later said fine just do it, but can I get some help with the pain? They said it will feel good when they break my water, but I was just scared of the unknown. She broke my water. It was not bad at all. But my surges slowed down and I was having surges every 5 to 8 minutes. I got some good naps in which was nice. But soon they were talking pitocin! I said no way! And they let me be for a while. The surges wouldn’t start up so they asked again about giving me pitocin and I just decided to let them do it. So they gave me pitocin and man did my surges pick up! I was ready to push right after.

I started feeling like I had to go to the bathroom and they told me that’s what it feels like when its time to push. I never believed that having a baby is very similar to pooping, but it totally was for me! I started to breath the babe down and after 30 minutes I was told this baby wont come out if I don’t push. She told me she could tell I was getting tired and needed to have my baby in my arms soon because I was fading. He just kept going in and out.

We tried squatting, didn’t work. We tried standing up, didn’t work. He just kept going in and out. During all of this I was feeling nauseas and Jen gave me some peppermint to smell when I felt sick. That helped a ton! Finally I layed on my side and it helped. But I needed to move. So after every push I would switch sides.

Pushing was awesome. I knew he was so close to being in my arms and on top of that it really did feel so good to push! Never thought I would say that, but it really did! And 2 hours later of pushing (didn’t seem that long) I felt my baby come out of my body and straight into my arms! 7lbs 4 oz Gray Noble was here! It was such an amazing feeling. I seriously can’t wait to do it again!

Although things happened that weren’t my ideal birth plans, I still feel like I had an amazing birth. I wouldn’t change anything. Gray was so calm and beautiful. I can’t describe how awesome the feeling is of actually FEELING your baby coming to you! Our bodies really can do it!

I am so amazed at how relaxed I was able to feel. I listened to Marie Mongans affirmations on repeat for the whole birth. I can honestly say I could not have done what I did without the methods I learned with hypnobirthing.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: