Mackenzie’s First Birth:

December 6, 2011

Ruby is 6 days old! I can hardly believe that this time last week my body was prepping itself to deliver her. Sunday I felt completely terrible, I threw-up in the morning and then again after dinner, I missed church because I just felt so awful. I was hoping these were all signs that I was soon going to go into labor because it was passed Ruby’s “due” date. At 4am Monday morning I woke up with some surges. I really didn’t know what to expect when they came because I really hadn’t noticed any surges up until then. I felt all of the surge in my back, which surprised me because I imagined they would be in the front. I turned on a cheesy Hallmark movie and sat and timed. I didn’t want to wake up Von because if I was really in labor he would need his rest and there was nothing he really needed to do for me at this point. I sat for 2 hours and they were coming 5 minutes apart and were lasting 45 seconds to a minute long. Von was up by 6 and was surprised that I was having surges. He sat with me and helped time them. They were progressively growing closer together and getting more intense. At this point I decided I would get in the shower, because Ruby was coming! Von helped me blow my hair dry and it got harder to focus on my breathing and relaxation.

I had still not started listening to my affirmations but felt that I was getting to the point that I was going to need some help soon. We decided to head out the door around 8:30. Von had the affirmations playing in the car, they helped me stay calm and focused the whole way to the hospital. We arrived around quarter to 9 and I soon found out that I was dilated to a 4 and 90% effaced. I was in real labor, yay she was coming!

I got into the tub to see if the warm water would help me relax, I ended up being in the tub for about 30 minutes because I got so hot and listening to Ruby’s HR in the water was a bit difficult, making me uncomfortable. I climbed out of the tub and my Dad and Sister came. At this point I was still able to have conversations and be pretty pleasant. It was getting harder and harder though to go in and out of relaxation, I needed to focus more on the goal and less and the visitors in the room.

Soon my Mom and other sister came. I was checked again at about 12:30pm and was now at a 7, I was progressing which gave me courage to keep going. I was feeling incredible rectal pressure and was extremely uncomfortable. I continued to move around attempting to find a position to help me continue my focus. Von was there all along supporting me and using counter pressure to help me get through each surge. I could not have done it without him. I was having a hard time relaxing and focusing, but I know using the breathing I’d practiced and taking the rest time in between each surge helped me get to the end. They had called Kathryn, my midwife, who I had actually never met and she was on her way. Once she got there she checked me again and I was at a 9 my waters had still not released and they were creating an hourglass-like shape within the birth path.

I had moved to hanging over the back of the bed using counter pressure on both sides, my nurse (who was awesome) was pushing and so was my sister. I was to the point of exhaustion and was very ready to be done! It was time to push, I couldn’t help it. I thought pushing would give me great relief, but it was honestly just hard. Knowing that by breathing down, Ruby would come, was the only thing keeping me holding on. I just kept repeating in my mind that “I can birth my baby” (it had been the turning point phrase that I kept repeating throughout my pregnancy). I got into a squatting position at the end of the bed. I couldn’t use the bar, it just didn’t seem stable enough, so I was using my arms to support myself. My water broke and we figured out that there was meconeum, which meant no delayed cord clamping, this threw me off for a minute, but I realized that if Ruby was ok, that was all that mattered.

As I breathed down Ruby, my eyes were closed and had been since I had been leaning over the bed. I felt Ruby’s head and was told that she had lots of hair! I only pushed for 30 minutes, but it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I think my body knew that I was about done because in my mind in the moment I was not sure if I could continue but with two more great pushes Ruby was out and as I finally opened my eyes there she was in front of me! I could not have been more relieved that she was healthy and safe. She was born at 2:08 pm weighed, 7 lbs 14 oz. and is 20 in. long.

They suctioned her mouth and nose quickly and Von cut the cord and she was taken over to make sure she did not aspirate any bad fluid. All I could focus on was my sweet baby not with me and how desperate I was to have her. She was soon returned to me and we immediately did skin to skin, she latched on quickly and we fell in love.

This week has been a whirlwind of emotions and new experiences. I feel so blessed that I have a healthy baby and that my body was able to perform the work I knew it could to get her to me. I am so glad I used Hypnobirthing to help me prepare to deliver her naturally, because it helped me accomplish my task. I am so grateful I was able to feel just how powerful our bodies are. The experience I had was the most epic of my life, and I am so glad I did it naturally.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Anastasia @ Eco-Babyz December 11, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Beautiful story! I had a water birth with our second baby three weeks ago. The midwives were a huge blessing and I was overflowing with gratitude for God’s presence, my husband, and this new little human. Here is our story:

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: