My Unplanned Home (or actually, minivan) Birth

December 21, 2009

The Birth of Asher Carson Curtis

by Lauralyn Curtis

Our third beautiful boy was born in the back of our mini-van on Sunday, December 6, 2009 at 10:21 PM. It was a cold, snowy night, and the experience has changed me forever. I secretly wanted a home birth for my third son, but I was chicken because I thought my babies were just “too big” to be born safely at home. But I used to visualize, over and over, that my labor was so easy and so short that my baby would just accidentally pop out before I had time to get to the hospital. I read as many stories of accidental home births as I could find. My sister told me about her friend, who had given birth in the bathtub after a painless labor in her sleep. I LOVED that story. Well, all my visualizing must have worked!

Sunday afternoon I had been having mild practice contractions (Braxton-Hicks), and being my impatient self, I wanted to go to the hospital just to see if anything was happening. I was 8 days before my “guess date”, but I knew I was already dilated to a 3, so I just wanted to be sure. They monitored me for a couple of hours, but there was no cervical change and no consistent contractions.

Because my previous two babies had been so large, 10 lbs and 9 lbs each, my care providers offered to induce me that night, but I wanted to hold out for my natural birth. We went home to relax and see if we could get labor moving along.

That evening, my birthing surges started.  At the time, I thought they were still just practice surges because I felt no pain at all. I was completely comfortable and relaxed, with no comprehension that my baby was on his way. I sat on the couch, watching Friends and eating yogurt, using my Hypnobirthing breathing techniques, just as I had been doing for the last several weeks during all of my braxton-hicks practice surges.

In between contractions, I ate lightly and stayed hydrated. Each time I felt a surge coming on, I dropped into total relaxation and just listened to the sound of my breath. I felt no discomfort at all, but was beginning to feel some pelvic pressure. It felt like I was kinda constipated. I decided to go sit on the toilet, and I sat there for a while, feeling like I needed to poop but I couldn’t do it. I was still having my practice surges, but they were so mild I didn’t pay attention to them.

I woke my husband up and told him I was feeling weird, like labor might start soon. He suggested I get in my beloved bathtub to relax, but I worried it would slow my labor down, as I could tell things were still very early on. My surges were still painless. Little did I know, labor was already almost over!!!

As I stepped in to my beloved tub, I just melted into a totally relaxed state. It felt incredible. Twenty minutes later, things intensified. I suddenly felt a huge amount of pelvic pressure, like I needed to have a bowel movement. This freaked me out because I was in my tub, and well, you know…

It wasn’t a bowel movement. It was a baby. My mom and sisters showed up at this point and helped me out of the tub. As soon as I stood up I realized I needed to push, so I squatted down on the floor and just went with what my body told me to do. I didn’t really have a choice at this point. We were all in total denial that the baby was actually coming and thought I could still make it to the hospital. As I walked from my bathroom to the car, I dropped down to my hands and knees with each pushing contraction and just let the surge take over.

I had a huge surge on the garage stairs and my water broke. My husband was on the phone with the midwife, and she told him to call 911. Still thinking I had time to get to the hospital, I tried to climb in the car but couldn’t do it. I found myself squatting, wearing nothing but my husband’s bathrobe, in the snow on our driveway. My husband realized the baby was coming immediately, and somehow got me into the back of our mini-van. Our new neighbor across the street heard the commotion, and, being a doctor, came outside just as the baby was starting to crown.

The paramedics arrived, and two minutes later, on my hands and knees in freezing weather, I birthed my little boy easily into the world. He was around 10 lbs and an Apgar 10. Despite the incredible circumstances, everything went very smoothly, and it was my easiest, fastest birth yet. A couple of hours after the birth, I was up walking around and feeling amazing.

That night, as I held my new sweet little son and we looked into each other’s eyes, I thanked him for the beautiful experience we had just shared. I will never forget it.

Read Lauralyn’s fourth birth story (her second hypno-birth using the Curtis Method)

{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

Ruthie April 26, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Amazing! You are a birth rockstar. I’m glad I found this tonight!

Devin June 7, 2014 at 10:09 am

I’ve just read every story on the site and I’m feeling pumped for hypnobaby number two! I’ve always loved this story,ever since you told it in class. Inspiring and exciting! Thank you for all you’ve done for us. It’s sharing pieces of yourself like this story that make your hypnobirthing classes real and so accessible.

Merritt November 4, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Hi I think we may have birthed boys about the same time…. Same date n all only I’m in Hawaii! They were born under the same star as Sakai lama did Ya know? Aloha!

Leave a Comment

Next post: